Robert Tauler is a civil trial lawyer specializing in false advertising, intellectual property, and business fraud cases. Mr. Tauler has won several multi-million-dollar jury trials, including a recent $10.2 million jury verdict affirmed in all respects by the California Court of Appeal.
Mr. Tauler founded Tauler Smith LLP in 2015 with his Harvard Law School classmate Matthew J. Smith. Since that time, the firm has served more than 100 clients in over a dozen different state and federal jurisdictions. Mr. Tauler has represented influencers and talent agencies in the modeling industry, and he has developed a detailed understanding of emerging digital trends in these fields. Moreover, Mr. Tauler has a deep knowledge of the dietary supplement industry, including sports supplements, anti-aging supplements, and other health foods.
Robert Tauler obtained his J.D. from Harvard Law School in 2005. During his time at Harvard, he was a judicial clerk for the Honorable John Lim in the Intermediate Court of Appeals of Hawaii. Prior to attending Harvard Law, Mr. Tauler earned his B.A. in political science with honors from the University of California, Irvine. While at UCI, Mr. Tauler was honored as a Scholar-Athlete for the Big West Conference: he maintained a 4.0 GPA and competed for the University’s nationally ranked Division I volleyball team.
Robert Tauler is admitted to practice law in California and Texas. He is also licensed to practice before the U.S. District Court, in all federal courts in California, and in both the Northern and Eastern Districts of Texas. Additionally, Mr. Tauler has been admitted pro hac vice and litigated matters in many other states, including New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Georgia, Arizona, Nevada, Missouri, Arkansas, and Wisconsin.
Representative Legal Matters
- Complete defense verdict in real estate case after bench trial against land developer seeking easement over defendant’s property.
- Won unanimous $10.2 million jury verdict against supplement manufacturer in breach of fiduciary and conversion action. Jury awarded over one million dollars in punitive damages and emotional damages. Affirmed in all respects on appeal.
- Procured $2.1 million jury verdict in property investment dispute, including punitive damages. Affirmed in all respects on appeal.
- Successfully defended real estate holding corporation and several individual defendants in business fraud action. After a seven-day jury trial in litigation that spanned close to three years, obtained dismissal of 23 claims, including fraud and breach of fiduciary duty. Remaining claims were resolved during jury deliberations.
- Obtained permanent injunction against supplement manufacturer for illicit distribution of misbranded nutritional supplements.
- Obtained outright dismissal of lawsuit against modeling agency and award of attorney’s fees under California Anti-SLAPP statute.
- Obtained dismissal of suit brought by Starbucks Corporation against outdoor furniture company.
- Paper Magazine, a national fashion and popular culture magazine.
- Pier59 Studios, the largest commercial photography studio in lower Manhattan.
- Outerknown, a California-based sustainable clothing brand.
- Certified Nutraceuticals Inc., a manufacturer and retailer of collagen supplements.
- The Industry Model Management, a national modeling agency.
- Taran Butler, world champion sport shooter and celebrity trainer.
- Lateral Link, a national legal recruiting firm.
- Maceoo, a designer of men’s luxury clothing.
- Open Influence, a social media marketing agency.